When it comes time to sell your home it can be a very stressful time. It can be difficult to find the value of your home, make all the necessary repairs, keep your home clean for showings and balance this with your daily life and work. There are certain situations that you can avoid and save yourself time and money.
There are many decisions you will need to make that could come back to bite you. Here are some common mistakes home sellers make.
Do’s and Don’ts of selling your home.
- Forget about open houses, they are a giant waste of time. Real estate agents like open houses because it gives them the opportunity to connect with potential clients but rarely will a qualified buyer attend an open house. Open houses also open your home to being burglarized during or even after the open house. So if your agent suggests it just say no.
- Don’t overprice your home. This may seem like a pretty obvious one but it has consequences that most sellers don’t really think about. If your home is priced above the market value you probably won’t get very many if any buyers interested in the property. So you will need to begin dropping the price. However, this tends to make potential buyers nervous about your property because they assume there must be something wrong. You can have a nice house that just won’t sell because it was priced too high from the start.
- Never accept an offer from someone that has not been approved for financing (unless its a cash buyer). If you accept an offer from someone who has not been approved by their lender it can be a huge waste of time. The approval process can take a long time and if the buyer ends up not being approved you will have wasted a lot of time and have nothing to show for it.
- Don’t try to hide damage from potential buyers. Not only would this be incredibly unethical but you also can be sued. When you sell your property you are required to fill out a seller’s disclosure notice. If you were to knowingly leave out any important piece of information you will open yourself up to potential lawsuits. So be honest, not only will it protect you, but it will also put potential buyers at ease and build trust.
- Hire a good agent. This is one of the most important steps, there is such a big difference between a seasoned agent and someone who is just getting started. The real estate market can be very confusing and there is no substitute for experience in this business. So don’t cheap out when it comes to hiring your agent.
- Take good pics of your house. According to the 2014 National Association of Realtors, 90 percent of buyers start their search online. The only thing that potential buyers have to go off is the pictures that you take. You’ll never get a second chance to make a good first impression so make sure your homes pics aren’t dark and gloomy or clutter with personal items.
This can all seem very confusing. The good news is that Savvi Properties will buy your house As-Is and we close quick. We take care of all closing costs and since there are no real estate agents you won’t have to pay any commissions. We make the process fast and easy. Start by giving us a call or submit your info below and we’ll help guide you through your options.