One of the most important systems in your home is the electrical wiring. It consists of wires running from your breaker box to all of your plugs, lights, etc. With thicker wire going to the items that draw more power such as your dryer and HVAC.
When the wiring gets old and damage you are at risk of a potential fire or electrical shock. This can be very dangerous and expensive to repair but it is important to address these issues as soon as possible. Here are some signs you may have an electrical wiring issue.
- If you have a burn smell in your home this is usually a sign of a short circuit and can start a fire if it is not addressed.
- Flickering and dimming lights is a good tell that there may be a loose wiring connection or even a severed wire.
- If you have any switches or outlets that buzz it could be a loose connection in the electrical box. You should have this issue addressed as soon as possible.
- Switches or outlets that shock you when you touch them is another sign of wiring damage.
- Lights or outlets that aren’t working is another good indicator of damaged wiring
- If you find any frayed wires they can often cause a bad connection and need to be fixed
If you have any of these signs in your home you should consult with an electrician as soon as possible. As they can often lead to much more serious damage. Arcing faults are responsible for starting more than 28,000 home fires, killing and injuring hundreds of people, and causing over $700 million in property damage.
Older homes were equipped with cloth wiring that is considered by most insurance companies to be a fire hazard. The wires heat up and eventually can set the cloth coating on fire. Most modern homes are wired with Romex wiring which is much safer.
If your home does have electrical issues it can be very expensive to repair. These issues can also make very hard to sell your home. The good news is that Savvi Properties will buy your house As-Is and we close quick. We take care of all closing costs and since there are no real estate agents you won’t have to pay any commissions. We make the process fast and easy. Start by giving us a call or submit your info below and we’ll help guide you through your options.
Here are 7 things you don’t see that could be costly if there’s an issue (always check regularly)