Termites, although ecologically beneficial the same feeding behavior that makes them helpful to the ecosystem also causes extreme damage to your home. Termites feed primarily on wood chewing large channels through the wood. These channels compromise the strength of the framework causing irreversible damage.
Houses made of wood are not the only ones that can be affected by termites. Termites are capable of chewing through metal, plaster and much more. There are 3 main types of termites: subterranean termites, damp wood termites, and dry-wood termites.
- Subterranean Termites are termites that live underground but they still feed on wood and will tunnel up to 150ft to find it.
- Dampwood Termites are just what they sound like they prefer damp areas so if you have leaking pipes or any other sitting water they are likely to make a home there.
- Drywood Termites love to make a home in roofing material and framework of your home. They feed on dry wood.
But I’m sure you’re wondering “what can I do to prevent these termites”. Well, here’s a list of tips and tricks for termite prevention.
- Eliminate moisture from around your house (termites need this to survive).
- Cover all the access points, any holes or gaps around your house where termites can access.
- Remove wood to ground contact where subterranean termites might access
- Repair all rotting wood (fascia, soffits, siding, etc.).
- Store all firewood at least 20ft from your house.
And remember time is of the essence when it comes to termites so as soon as you find signs of termites call an exterminator to begin addressing the problem.
Termite damage can make your home almost impossible to sell your house conventionally. The good news is that Savvi Properties will buy your house As-Is and we close quick. We take care of all closing costs and since there are no real estate agents you won’t have to pay any commissions. We make the process fast and easy.
Here are 7 more things you don’t see that could be costly if there’s an issue (always check regularly)